This post contains affiliate links. We will be compensated if you buy after clicking on our links.
Keeping our furry friends healthy and happy is a top priority for every responsible dog owner. When it comes to huskies, a breed known for their energy and endurance, proper nutrition is key. While a balanced diet is crucial, sometimes our huskies may require an extra boost to support their overall well-being. That’s where supplements come in.
In this article, we will explore the world of canine supplements specifically tailored for huskies, aiming to provide you with valuable insights and recommendations on the best supplements for huskies to enhance your husky’s health, vitality, and longevity.
13 Best Supplements for Huskies
Best Supplements For Husky Puppies
This supplement containing antioxidants, such as vitamin A, can help support the immune system of puppies, making them more resilient against infections and diseases.
Additionally, these supplements contain calcium, phosphorus, vitamin A, and vitamin D3 to promote healthy growth for puppies. These nutrients help improve connective tissue and muscle strength for your growing puppy. Vitamin D3 also helps your pup absorb calcium and phosphorus more easily.
- Easy to administer chewable tablet
- Contains important nutrients for growing puppies
- Too much calcium can be harmful, so it should be used under veterinary guidance
Best Supplements For Old Huskies
I personally like these ones by Naturvet that help support a wide variety of areas of health for senior dogs. These contain ingredients like lutein, coenzyme q10, milk thistle, turkey tail mushroom, and ginkgo biloba, which respectively are believed to help the eyes, heart, liver, immune system, and cognitive function.
Additionally, many of these ingredients support energy production at the cellular level, potentially increasing overall energy and vitality in older dogs.
- Improved energy levels
- Improved cognitive function
- Takes some time for benefits to start showing
Best Hip And Joint Supplements For Huskies
These hip and joint chews are formulated with glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, avocado/soybean unsaponifiable, and MSM to support your dog’s joint health.
Joint support supplements can help alleviate these symptoms by reducing inflammation and providing lubrication to the joints, thus enhancing comfort and mobility.
By providing essential nutrients and compounds, joint support supplements can contribute to maintaining joint flexibility and range of motion in dogs. This is particularly important for active dogs like Huskies that may put significant strain on their joints.
MSM is a source of sulfur, which helps support joint health. Joint support supplements can be valuable during the recovery process after joint-related surgeries or injuries. The ingredients in these supplements can aid in tissue repair, reduce inflammation, and promote healing, leading to a quicker and smoother recovery for your furry friend.
I give these to my dog, who is developing some arthritis in his old age, and it has made quite a difference. He doesn’t seem to be in as much pain anymore when he walks! 🙏
- Helpful for dogs at every age
- Especially helpful for older dogs
- Beneficial for dogs with a wide variety of diagnoses, like hip dysplasia, arthritis, etc.
Best Zinc Supplements For Huskies
Nutrition Strength’s Zinc for Dogs with Biotin, Folate, Selenium & Vitamin E helps to support your pet’s immune, enzymatic, structural, and regulatory functions and promote overall well-being.
Zinc is also known to promote healthy skin and a lustrous coat in dogs. It contributes to the production of keratin, a protein essential for hair growth and maintenance. Adequate zinc levels may help prevent dry skin and itching. Zinc can even help with excessive shedding!
While zinc supplementation can offer benefits, it’s important to ensure the dosage is appropriate for your husky’s specific needs. Too much zinc can be harmful and lead to toxicity, causing symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. It is always best to consult with a veterinarian who can assess your husky’s individual requirements and recommend the appropriate zinc supplement and dosage.
- Helps improve the immune system
- Helps promote healthy structural function
- Promotes healthy skin and coat
- Too much zinc is harmful, so it needs to be used under a veterinarian’s guidance
Best Calming Supplements For Huskies
Healthy Pup Healthy Calm Chews have six main ingredients that are known to help bring about calmness. These include L-tryptophan, ginger, thiamine, melatonin, valerian, and chamomile. For example, melatonin and valerian are mild natural sedatives that can have soothing and calming effects for anxious dogs.
It’s important to note that while these supplements can be beneficial for some dogs, they may not work for every individual, and depending on the severity of nervousness or anxiety, it may be beneficial to talk to your vet, who can offer additional suggestions and resources like behavior modification or training.
- A natural, mild sedative
- Provides a calming and soothing effect that is beneficial for many dogs
- It may not be effective enough for dogs with severe anxiety
Best Coat Supplements For Huskies
Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil is designed to support your dog’s immune system, joints, and overall health. But the most notable benefit of this oil is the difference it makes in a dog’s skin and coat!
Most pet parents notice a huge difference in how soft and shiny their dog’s coat is after only a few weeks of using this. It also helps picky eaters be more enticed to eat their food!
Many even noticed that it helped decrease the amount of shedding coming from their dog. It contains omega threes and omega sixes, which are known to help with skin and coat health.
- Most owners saw drastic improvements in their dog’s skin and coat health
- Significantly reduced shedding in dogs
- Slight fishy smell
Best Digestive Health Supplements For Huskies
The Forti Flora probiotic supplement powder is specially formulated to promote normal intestinal microflora in dogs suffering from diarrhea. However, it isn’t just for diarrhea and can be used to help promote a healthy gut overall! It is crafted in collaboration with nutritionists, researchers, and veterinarians to contain a specific amount of live microorganisms and antioxidants to help support digestive health and reduce gas. It is designed for all breeds of dogs at any stage of life.
- Promotes digestive health
- Reduces gassiness in some dogs
- Doesn’t taste the best to some dogs, so it may need to be mixed with wet food or high-value treats
Further reading: Best treats for huskies
Best Eye Health Supplements For Huskies
The Project Waston Eye Health Soft Chews contain nutrients like vitamin A, lutein, and zeaxanthin and omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids that support eye health. Lutein and zeaxanthin are carotenoids that act as antioxidants and are known to support eye health. They can help protect the retina from oxidative stress and damage caused by free radicals.
Additionally, these fatty acids have anti-inflammatory properties and help maintain the integrity of the eye’s structures. This supplement also contains natural herbs like eyebright extract and marshmallow root that help to manage tear stains around the dog’s eyes.
- Helps manage tear stains
- Supports eye health
- Has a slight fishy smell that may be off-putting to some
Best Dental Health Supplements For Huskies
The Vibeful Dental Powder contains Zeolites and Propolis, which are ingredients known to help reduce plaque and tartar buildup while supporting a clean mouth and healthy gums. This powder has a chicken flavor that dogs seem to love! All you have to do is sprinkle this dental health powder over their favorite food.
However, it is important to note that this dental powder is not intended to be a substitute for tooth brushing. It is meant to be used in addition to regular teeth brushing, and the combination will help reduce plaque and tartar buildup and help keep your pet’s mouth clean. Many pet owners have found that this powder has made a noticeable difference in their dog’s oral health. No more stinky dog breath!
- Improved dental health
- Improved breath
- Need to be used in conjunction with regular teeth brushing
Best Brain Supplements For Huskies
The Herbsmith Senior Dog Wisdom cognitive support supplement is great for dogs who are in their golden years and maybe don’t have quite as much brain power as they once had. Some vets refer to this part of the aging process as a decline in cognitive function.
Examples of this include doggie dementia which presents with symptoms like staring off into space, getting “stuck” in corners, disrupted sleeping patterns, having accidents in the house when it was never an issue, behavior, pacing, and barking at nothing as well as increased anxiety.
This can be a really hard thing for owners to experience. 😔
It contains ingredients like L-Carnitine, alpha lipoic acid, branched-chain amino acids, ginkgo biloba, and DHA, all of which work to support brain health and cognitive function.
- Supports brain health in a dog’s golden years
- Helps improve cognitive function, especially in old age
- Some dogs don’t like the taste, so it may need to be broken up into pieces and mixed with food
Best Urinary Health Supplements For Huskies
The Zesty Paws Bladder Bites chewable supplements are a great option for any owners who have concerns about their dog’s urinary health. The supplements are formulated to promote your pup’s kidney, urinary tract, and bladder health. They contain organic marshmallow root and astragalus, which are known to help flush toxin buildups from your dog’s kidneys and bladder.
It also contains organic licorice root, d-mannose, and nettle seed to help protect your dog’s UT lining, aid digestion, and encourage healthy urine flow and inflammation relief. Additionally, these supplements also contain cranberry concentrate to support your dog’s bladder and urinary health. And best of all, these supplements help prevent UTIs in dogs! 😮
- Helps to prevent UTIs
- Chewable and tasty for most dogs
- Reduces toxins in the kidneys and the bladder
- A bit pricey
Best Immunity Support Supplements For Huskies
The Zesty Paws Allergy Immune Supplement contains salmon fish oil, colostrum, astragalus root, probiotics, and apple cider vinegar. These ingredients all work together to provide immune, seasonal allergy, and gut support. And they may even help maintain normal histamine levels for your husky.
Additionally, these Immune health supplements contain vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and herbal extracts that help bolster the immune system. By strengthening their immune response, these supplements may help dogs fight off infections, viruses, and other diseases.
- Strengthened immune systems
- Help to maintain normal histamine levels
- Also helps promote gut health
Best Multivitamin Supplements For Huskies
Even with a balanced diet, it can be difficult to ensure that a dog receives all the necessary vitamins and minerals. A multivitamin like Health Extensions Lifetime Vitamins can help fill in those nutritional gaps, providing additional nutrients to promote optimal health.
The essential vitamins and minerals found in this supplement will help ensure good health as your puppy grows and continuing health for your adult dog. These vitamins contain colostrum which supports the immune system, and blue-green algae, which is rich in protein and also supports the immune system. Most folks report that their dogs take these chewable supplements like they’re candy! This is great, so you don’t have to worry about forcing your dog to take the supplements!
- Good for both puppies and adults
- Immune system support
- Some dogs may not like the flavor, so it may need to be broken up into pieces and mixed with food
Guide to Buying the Best Supplements for Huskies
As a responsible pet owner, you want the best for your Husky’s health and well-being. Choosing the right supplements can play a crucial role in supporting their overall vitality.
However, with numerous options available, it can be challenging to make an informed decision. This guide aims to help you navigate through the process, considering important factors and considerations when selecting supplements for your beloved Husky.
Assess Your Husky’s Unique Needs
Every Husky is unique, with varying health requirements. Consider factors such as their age, activity level, and any specific health concerns they may have.
For example, if your Husky is older or shows signs of joint stiffness, joint health supplements containing ingredients like glucosamine and chondroitin can be beneficial. By understanding your Husky’s specific needs, you can choose supplements that target their individual health requirements.
Dog Supplement Options
To help you assess your husky’s needs, it can help to know what dog supplements are available.
- Multivitamins: Comprehensive supplements that provide a wide range of essential vitamins and minerals to support overall health and well-being.
- Joint Health Supplements: Formulated to support joint health and mobility, these supplements often contain ingredients like glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Skin and Coat Supplements: Designed to improve skin health, reduce shedding, and enhance the condition of the coat. These supplements often include omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids and biotin.
- Digestive Health Supplements: Supplements that support a healthy digestive system by including probiotics, prebiotics, enzymes, and fiber to promote optimal digestion and nutrient absorption.
- Calming Supplements: Formulated to reduce anxiety, and stress, and promote relaxation. These supplements often contain ingredients like chamomile, L-theanine, and melatonin.
- Energy and Performance Supplements: Designed for active and working dogs, these supplements may include ingredients like amino acids, electrolytes, and adaptogens to support energy levels, endurance, and recovery.
- Weight Management Supplements: Formulated to assist with weight loss or weight maintenance by providing necessary nutrients while managing calorie intake. These supplements often contain ingredients like L-carnitine and fiber.
- Senior Dog Supplements: Tailored for the specific needs of senior dogs, these supplements address common issues such as joint stiffness, cognitive health, and age-related conditions.
- Dental Health Supplements: Formulated to promote oral hygiene and dental health, these supplements may include ingredients like enzymes, probiotics, and antioxidants.
- Brain Supplements: Designed to support cognitive function and brain health in Huskies, particularly those experiencing dementia or cognitive decline.
- Bladder Health Supplements: Aimed at supporting a healthy urinary system, these supplements may contain ingredients like cranberry extract and probiotics.
- Immunity Support: Supplements formulated to strengthen the immune system, often including ingredients like vitamin C, Echinacea, and medicinal mushrooms.
- Specific Health Condition Supplements:
- Zinc Supplements: Specifically formulated for Huskies with zinc deficiency, these supplements help address the associated health issues.
- Eye Health Supplements: Targeted for Huskies with eye conditions, these supplements contain ingredients like lutein, zeaxanthin, and antioxidants to support eye health.
Remember to consult with your veterinarian before introducing any new supplements, especially for common husky health problems. They can provide guidance on the appropriate dosage and suitability for your Husky’s unique needs.
Quality and Safety
Prioritize the quality and safety of the supplements you consider. Look for products from reputable brands that adhere to strict manufacturing standards. Ideally, select supplements that have undergone third-party testing or carry certifications from organizations like the National Animal Supplement Council (NASC). This ensures that the supplements meet high-quality standards and are safe for your Husky’s consumption.
Consult with Your Veterinarian
Before introducing any new supplements to your Husky’s diet, consult with your veterinarian. They possess valuable knowledge about your dog’s medical history and can provide expert advice.
They can assess your Husky’s specific health needs and recommend suitable supplements or brands. Your veterinarian’s guidance is invaluable in making an informed decision that aligns with your Husky’s overall health.
Form and Administration
Consider the form and ease of administration of the supplements. Some Huskies may prefer chewable tablets or soft chews, making them convenient to administer. Others may respond better to liquid or powder forms that can be mixed with food. By selecting a form that suits your Husky’s preferences, you can ensure they receive the supplements consistently without any hassle.
Consider Specific Health Benefits
Different supplements offer varying health benefits. For joint health, look for supplements containing ingredients like glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM. To support a healthy coat and skin, seek supplements rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids or those with biotin. Digestive health can be enhanced with supplements containing probiotics and prebiotics. Assess your Husky’s needs and choose supplements that target those specific areas of concern.
In conclusion, choosing the right supplements for your husky is an incredibly beneficial way to enhance their overall health and well-being. Whether it’s promoting joint health, improving skin and coat condition, or supporting their immune system, a range of supplements are available to meet their unique needs.
Remember, no supplement should be considered a substitute for a balanced diet and proper veterinary care. So make sure you are feeding your fur baby the best dog food for huskies. 🤤
By combining the right supplements with a nutritious diet, regular exercise, and plenty of love and attention, you can help your Husky thrive and enjoy a happy, healthy life by your side.
Have supplements helped your husky?
Share your experience in the comments below.
- Best dog food for husky puppies
- Best dog food for senior huskies
- Best dog food for huskies to gain weight
- Best dog food for picky huskies
- Best dog food for pregnant huskies
- Best dog food for shedding huskies
- Best dog food for huskies with diarrhea
- Best dog food for huskies with zinc deficiency
- Best raw food for huskies
Do huskies need supplements?
Huskies generally don’t need supplements if they are consuming a balanced and nutritious diet. See our recommendations for the best food for huskies. However, certain Huskies with specific health conditions or dietary restrictions may benefit from targeted supplements. Consult with your veterinarian to determine if your Husky would benefit from any specific supplements.
Do huskies need joint supplements?
Not all Huskies need joint supplements. However, joint supplements can be beneficial, especially for Huskies with joint issues, those involved in intense physical activities, or aging Huskies experiencing stiffness. Consult with your veterinarian to assess your Husky’s joint health and determine if joint supplements would be beneficial.
Can a raw dog food diet provide all the necessary nutrients?
Yes, it’s possible, especially if the raw food is prepared by experts from a company that specializes in raw dog food diets. You might be surprised, but it’s not that easy to formulate a diet yourself and ensure your dog is getting all of the essential nutrients! If you are considering the raw dog food diet, see our recommendations for the best raw dog food for huskies.
Do joint supplements work for huskies?
Joint supplements can be beneficial for Huskies, particularly those with joint issues or those prone to hip dysplasia. While results may vary among dogs, many Husky owners have reported positive effects on joint mobility and comfort. Choose high-quality supplements and follow recommended dosages.
Can I give my husky human zinc supplements?
It is not recommended to give your Husky human zinc supplements without veterinary guidance. Huskies have different zinc requirements, and excessive amounts can be harmful. Consult with your veterinarian to determine the appropriate zinc supplement or dosage for your Husky’s specific needs.
Can I give my husky human iron supplements?
No, it is not recommended to give your Husky human iron supplements without veterinary guidance. Dogs have different iron requirements, and excess iron can be toxic. If you suspect your Husky has an iron deficiency, consult with your veterinarian for appropriate supplementation.
Are calming supplements safe for huskies?
Calming supplements can be safe for Huskies when used as directed and from reputable brands. However, the effectiveness may vary among individual dogs. It’s advisable to consult with your veterinarian before giving your Husky calming supplements, especially if your Husky has any underlying health conditions or is taking other medications.
Are fish oil supplements good for huskies?
Yes, fish oil supplements can be beneficial for Huskies. They are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, which can support healthy skin, coat, joint function, and overall well-being. It’s important to use fish oil specifically formulated for dogs, as human fish oil supplements may have different concentrations and additives that are not suitable for Huskies. Consult with your veterinarian for appropriate fish oil supplementation recommendations tailored to Huskies.